Monday, May 9, 2011

Sisters are a Girl's Best Friend

*To my sister out there who may feel a little lonely today and for the next little while. This blog post is for you. Each day will only get better and I PROMISE it's almost over. I love you.

I had an interesting thought the other day: if it wasn't for DNA my older sister and I would probably of never meet.

Even though we went to the same high school we were three years apart and two totally different people. I would have recognized her from the morning school news show but she wouldn't even have known I existed. Now we are two totally different people. We do like some of the same things. We both likes cats, food (crepes especially), eating out, dry humor, and many other things I'm not thinking of right now. But even then, I feel like we both like those things because we have the same parents.

So, here we are, two different people with two different futures, two different goals, and two different lives. The one thing that ties us together is this unconditional love that you somehow get for your sister.

I think the unconditional love has to do with the tears, fears, and laughs we've had together. Between countless hours of being home alone together and my mom forcing us to be friends we somehow gained this relationship that is deep and meaningful.

I think about the sisters in my ward. I call them my sisters but do I really feel the love for them like I do with my "real" sister?

For those that were either visit taught or did your visiting teaching in the month of April read the article about the purpose of Relief Society. There were three key things that were spoken about:

1: Increase in faith and personal righteousness
2: Strengthen family and home
3: Provide relief by serving the Lord and His children

When I first read these three items I wondered to myself how those things affect me and if I'm really getting that out of Relief Society. I now realize, though, that I need to not think so selfishly about that. I need to think, "What am I doing to help other sisters receive these three things in their lives?"

Going back to my own sister I think about how we give each other advice and listen to each other's problems. Even though she is not married she has been there to listen to some silly argument and I have been there to give her advice on how to advance her career and become her own self. We usually talk on the phone for hours and are really sad when the call has to come to an end. I feel like at the end of each and every conversation we have provided those three things for each other and I'm grateful for that.

I need to take these skills I have of bonding with a sister and showing unconditional love and support and apply to those sisters in my ward. That way I don't ever have to feel without a friend. For a sister is a girl's best friend.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for thinking of me. If it wasn't for the Relief Society here, I would not be able to do this. A sister truly is a girl's best friend!

    ReplyDelete